Photo: Lefty David Parkinson (top photo) and righty Mick Abel (bottom photo), the Reading Fightin’ Phils co-strikeout leaders in 2023, accept plaques to mark their accomplishments from Rob Hackash, Diamond Credit Union’s Director of Branding. Matt Hoffmaster, Fightin’s Assistant General Manager, looks on.
The 2023 Reading Fightin Phils season marks the third year that Diamond Credit Union donated to local charities through the organization’s Ks for Commyounity. The 12 chosen charities each received an average of $516 from Diamond Credit Union this season.
One charity was selected for each home series during the Fightin Phils season. For every strikeout recorded during each series, Diamond donated ten dollars to the selected organization. The charities were also given tickets to attend the series they were represented at.
The 12 Local Charities
- Baseballtown Charities – The organization has been serving children in need in Reading since 2002, by giving them the opportunity to learn and play baseball.
- Habitat for Humanity of Berks County – This non-profit focuses on revitalizing neighborhoods, providing affordable housing options and homeownership opportunities for families in need.
- Centro Hispanio – The Hispanic Center focuses on supporting the Latino population in the Greater Reading area through initiatives designed to improved their quality of life.
- Unite for HER – Unite for HER provides wellness recources and support to community members diagnosed with breast and ovarian cancer in the United States.
- Animal Rescue League of Berks County – The ARL protects animals and provides programs and services to help animals in need in Berks County.
- Mom’s House of Phoenixville – This organization provides free childcare for low-income, single parents, while they pursuing full-time education.
- PA Pitstop – PA Pitstop rescues homeless, neglected and abused animals by providing aid and safety while they await adoption.
- Tower Health Reading Hospital’s Gwen’s Closet – Gwen’s Closet provides basic clothing items to patients in need. Items and funds received are frequently used by trauma and emergency departments.
- Zoe’s House Rescue – This rescue saves dogs from neglectful situations and provides them with love and care until they are adopted.
- In Ian’s Boots – This Pottstown organization focuses on providing footwear to those in need in the United States and around the world.
“Ks for Commyounity is a way for us to give local organizations an opportunity to have fun and raise awareness for their efforts at the same time,” Diamond Credit Union’s Director of Branding, Rob Hackash said. “We are grateful for everything they do to make our communities better, and honored to offer them our support.”
Diamond Credit Union thanks everyone involved with the 2023 Ks for Commyounity season, including staff, the Fightin Phils and this year’s recipients.