Diamond Credit Union is grateful for a successful 2019 Relay For Life Season. The credit union raised $71,155 for the American Cancer Society. During the credit union’s 14-year partnership with the American Cancer Society, Diamond has raised $954,696 to help the fight.
Diamond expanded its support beyond Relay events in 2019. This included sponsoring the first American Cancer Society Pink Party and Real Men Wear Pink campaigns held in Berks County.
“Our resolve to continue the fight against cancer is as strong as it has ever been over the last decade-plus,” said John Faust, President/CEO of Diamond Credit Union. “It is with the utmost respect and gratitude that we say thank you to everyone associated with Diamond Credit Union who fought by our side during a successful 2019 Relay For Life Season.”
“The contribution from the Diamond Credit Union family is invaluable,” said James Pepe, Community Development Manager, American Cancer Society Northeast Region. “When we look at the hard dollars, $70,000+ raised for the ACS means more money available for a research grant that can provide a breakthrough for cancer screening or treatment, or a way to prevent a cancer.”
In addition to providing a boost in research, Pepe outlined other ways Diamond’s efforts provide for the ACS:
• 700 rooms/nights at a Hope Lodge for cancer patients and the caregivers
• Over 2,500 rides for patients to treatments and doctor appointments
• Raised awareness for cancer screenings
• Increased education about cancer
• The spreading of information on ACS programs
“Everyone associated with Diamond Credit Union is helping save lives. And in the end, that’s what we strive for most. More Survivors. More days with loved ones. More birthdays celebrated,” Pepe added. “On behalf of everyone at the American Cancer Society, especially those in the Berks, Lehigh and Northampton Counties office, I’d like to thank the entire Diamond Credit Union organization for their support in helping us crush cancer.”
A year-round effort
Nearly all of Diamond’s 180-plus employees support Relay For Life efforts in some capacity. Several staff members walk for Diamond’s Hope Relay team. Even more organize, implement, participate in, or attend several year-round fundraising events. Events are also well-supported by Diamond members, vendors, business partners, friends, and family who make this total donation possible.
This year, Diamond’s Hope supported five Relay events through sponsorship or participation in Berks County and Pottstown.
Additional fundraising events included:
• 15th Annual Diamond Credit Union Charity Golf Invitational
• “All In” for Hope – casino night, beef and beer
• Bake Sales and Hot Dog Days – held at all public branches several times per year
• Designer Purse/Jewelry Bingos – one held in Pottstown and one in Reading
• Bark For Life – a dog-friendly version of Relay For Life that raises funds and awareness
• Various sales (treats, carnations and more) and raffles
• Jeans Fridays – Diamond employees donate to Relay to wear jeans on Fridays and raise awareness for the cause